Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Taboo topics

There are a few things in life we don't much talk about, one of them is the end of life. Last week was a hard week at the hospital. Three kids I have gotten to know fairly well ended up dying. Including the little girl in the previous blog. They had fought their battles with all they had and sank like warriors. I thought maybe I was getting better at dealing with death but these ones hit me pretty hard. I am not sure it really gets any easier with each one, seems like each one reminds you of all the ones before. Its especially hard to see kids like that little girl; some of the sweetest little kids I have ever met, lives cut so short. I am not sure how I would handle it if I didn't have a firm belief in God and a rest from all sorrows and cares for these amazing children. my heart bleeds not only for these kids but for the families left in the wake of suffering. For some death is almost a welcome escape from their disease stricken state. For others it is sudden and shocking. In every case it seems "too soon" for a person to die. I try not to think of dreams unfulfilled, loves never experienced, and other such things but my mind never shuts off.

A few days later a lady asked me how I could believe in a God that would let kids die like that. That's a hard question to answer. I am not sure I did it justice. But the thing that came to mind was I told her to look at how it brings people together. To walk 60 miles with 3,000 people in something like the breast cancer 3day or buy lemonade from little kids selling lemonade for Alex's Lemonade Stand. To see parents who, after losing the thing they hold most dear, start websites and raise awareness in the fight against cancer like People Against Childhood Cancer. Look at all the people putting their differences aside and uniting in the fight against this terrible disease. How many people have been inspired by the strength of a child that has fought so valiently in a battle they were never meant to win? It's truly and deeply sad to see these kids die. But truly inspirational to see the legacy they leave behind. I would venture to say every little child who's times cut short by cancer leaves this world better than they found it. Their influence keeps me and thousands of others going. I am not leaving my faith, my field, or my passion because kids are dying. Rather I am strengthening my faith, my field, and my passion because kids are dying. How God must weep to see these special children suffer. But how he must smile to see their families and those around them uniting to support and fight for them.

4 comments:

Carianne said...

You are a much stronger person than myself... It's a good thing we have people like you Dan.

Photography By Jo said...

That is so sweet. I love how you focus on the positive. You have to have a firm belief in God. His will is remarkable.

Brigette-boo said...

I have a feeling you said enough she at least thought about it...

Anonymous said...

TO God, he is just bringing them home. It may be more blessing to go home early then live in this harsh world, and their place in heaven is sure! It may be much more blessing then we know. The families however, that may be their trials in this life. For some it brings them closer to god and wanting an eternal family. I've been viewing death as a blessing more and more as time goes on, rather then an end or bad event...