Friday, May 15, 2009

You are not your diagnosis website

I have been kicking around the idea of starting a website since the idea came to me the other day. For a job right now I work doing in home therapy with at-risk children usually through CPS or foster care. Most of these kids have a long list of psychiatric diagnosis and an even longer list of meds they are on for these diagnosis. Many of these kids are just victims of the circumstances; neglect, abandonment, fetal alcohol syndrome, sexual or physical abuse. The part that troubled me is when these kids would introduce themselves they would usually say something like 'my names Kim and I am ADHD'. Or 'Hi I'm steve and I am bi-polar so I am a bad kid'. Then there is ones like 'hi I am Paul and my parents abandoned me last year'. Alot of these kids classify themselves by their condition or diagnosis and I believe to some extent limit themselves by it. The sad part is often times the parents catalyze this catastrophy by telling their kids things like you're ADHD so you won't ever be like the other kids. I cringe everytime I hear someone say well that kid will never live a "normal" life and even tell the kids that! While I am aware there are conditions and diseases that may limit a child from ever living a "normal" life there is no disease or circumstance or condition out there that I know of that would prevent them from making the life they have extraordinary.

I wanted to make a website that listed different diseases and then shared real stories of real people who made something of themselves while battling an often times daunting struggle with their condition. People like Michael phelps who was diagnosed ADHD but inspite of that accomplished all the things he did. While I don't expect every child with ADHD to win nine gold medals in the next olympics or even one I hope it will help a few kids, parents, or caretakers realize that you are not your diagnosis. That everyone despite their circumstances has infinate potential in their own way. Even children diagnosed with such dehabilitating diseases of cerebral palsy can live an amazing life. One exceptional story of this is the story of a father and son who made the most out of the worst. I highly recommend you watch this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRvsO8m_KI&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fvideosearch%3Fq%3Dteam%2Bhoyt%26hl%3Den%26emb%3D0%26aq%3Df&feature=player_embedded

I have done some surfing through the internet to see If I could find something like this but so far haven't there is a few pages that share a story or two but nothing that you could click on a disease or condition you have and see stories about people who have made something of themselves in spite of it. I would like to have a place where people can email in their own stories to share with others. Hopefully the list of conditions and accompanying stories will grow and grow. I guess I should say hopefully i can even get this idea off the ground. I have made one website from scratch before that dealt with cancer among latino children but my website making skills are basic to say the least. If any of you have any suggestions for me or a story you would like to share I would love to hear it. You can even tell me I am crazy to try and undertake such a project. Maybe I need to hear that too. But I think if it helps a few people it is worth it to me. If nothing else I think it will help motivate me to keep going and to not look at the people I work with by their limitations but by their infinate potential.

3 comments:

Photography By Jo said...

I would LOVE to help. Any you are crazy busy already but I think this would be an amazing site! Too many are classified by their disease or disorder. I love it.

Midlife Midwife said...

Count me in for support! I think it is a great idea.

Jason and Britney said...

My little sister has a mild case of cerebral palsy, and has had and still needs, surgeries to try to correct problems with her leg and foot. She has traveled to Mexico 4times to volunteer at an orphanage, just graduated from college, and is a first grade teacher. Her greatest accomplishment, yesterday she received her mission call to the San Fernando Mission, Spanish Speaking! Congrats to her, and to you Dan for taking on this projects to help inspire those who may need more help believing in themselves!